The Preparation for My Mission Around the World 2006-2009

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, July 14, 2006

Boredom/ An Escape

So I have had some time off from work, trying to figure out the big questions in life like what's my purpose and why am I here? After suffering from another bout of boredom and a lack of clear direction, I decided to get away.

I went down to Chula Vista, San Diego to visit Patty, my childhood friend. It was a much-needed time away from the familiar setting. As I was driving down the I-5, I realized the neat sensation of my body moving through time and space. It was surreal. I saw much blackness on both sides of the freeway. In less than two hours, my body was transported from OC to SD with the velocity of 65 miles/ hr. (Ok, I wanted to take it easy on my breaking-down 2000 Corolla, which I'm contemplating on selling it)

There's magic when long-time best friends spend time together. We've known each other for 20 years. We laughed a lot. She just came out of a year long relationship, and we were able to laugh it off together. What an incredible healing experience--hers from her pain and mine from my boredom. I thank God for best friends.

The night before I came back to OC, I went to hang out at her work. Patty works as a bartender at night while getting her law degree. I gotta say, she's a smart one at that too. Anyhow, she called one of her customers, Wes, to come hang at the bar. She wants to hook me up with a Christian boyfriend. Isn't she lovely? The bar is pretty mellow, mostly older guys with no family go there. One or two will try to smooth talk you and buy you a drink, and then they'll leave you alone after awhile.

Anyhow Wes was cooking some steak when Patty called. He doesn't come out to the bar except on pool tournament nights. Well, that night wasn't one of them, but he came.

Wes and I talked for about an hour and a half. We had good conversations, but towards the end I had to talk louder because of the people singing karaoke. A few old men really belched out their songs. That didn't go well with my ears. I told Wes about my 2 year mission. He had traveld the world with the Navy and offered good advice about Rwanda and Somolia like "Be careful, you might get killed!" I'm gonna really have to watch out before I try to go to those places. But I said that my Asian face hopefully will make the rebels hate me less. Anyhow, I had to make an abrupt exit because I wanted to hit the road while the night was young.

Talking to Wes brought back the memories of Thailand in 2003 and how I made friends so quickly with many fellow travelers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home