The Preparation for My Mission Around the World 2006-2009

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, August 21, 2006

The Angst Before Departure

So, it's count down time. I have a bit over a month left. There're still many loose ends to tie. The following are some details:

I'm in the process of selling some of my precious like my car and the 2 surfboards. As I was going through the process, I realized that I'm not a very good saleswoman. I didn't know my merchandize well enough. I felt bad for my potential buyers because I underquoted the prices, only to raise them up later. It works better the other way around when you overprice the item and then lower it. That makes everybody happy. I truly felt like an idiot, but there was a lesson learned. Every lesson comes with a price tag, I guess.

Warning: Below contains the technical language of surf repair. May not be of interest to non-surfers.
Right now, my 9' Becker board is in the shop. It needs 2 ding repairs on the nose and tail, the nose needs to be sanded down cos of the thick resin that a friend once layered it on the bottom, and the 2 delams on the deck. The Froghouse was going to charge me $120 for all the repair and sell it for $250 plus $50 commission on consignment. That would leave me with $80, which isn't that bad. But Lee, the Banning librarian hooked me up with Forest, a nice older surf repair man, who's charging me a total $5o to fix every thing. Forest showed me his shop in the garage and I love the idea of fixing surfboards. I'd love the learn how someday, not for the money, but as a hobby...

However much I'll make on the boards, we'll see. I can only do my best and pray...

The hard part of overcoming the angst before departure is to trust that God has it all planned out. Oftentimes, I feel like I'm working alone, trying to prepare for the mission. But the truth is God's always with me. He knows it all and Luke 12 is the perfect Scripture for the day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home